Founded in 2014, STER is a CAC registered, youth-led not-for-profit organisation advocating against gender-based violence and providing medical, legal, and psychological support to survivors of sexual and gender-based violence in Nigeria. STER adopts a comprehensive approach to advocating for gender equality and eliminating gender-based violence in Nigeria. First, by working with communities to generate sustainable homegrown solutions to the issues of gender-based violence that impact the broader society, then by partnering with local and national groups on systems-level prevention and intervention activities, and finally, by working with survivors and their families to support their recovery from trauma. At the core of STER’s programs is the goal to advocate for a society where women and girls are empowered to equally contribute free from violence.
As an organisation, we invest efficient time into our work and aspire for operational excellence in our communication strategies. We are currently developing new approaches to communicate with key stakeholders and our target audience. We are looking to hire a person who is keen on building STER as a global organisation and is unafraid to develop innovative strategies in line with the organisation’s goals.
Job Title: Communications Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 3 -5 years
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
The Communications Unit consists of the Content Development and Social Media and Creative Writing Department. The Content Development and Social Media Department develops engaging content to build awareness and provide the public with informative and educative content on gender-based violence and Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights issues and update STER followers on our programs. Simultaneously, the Creative Writing Department is responsible for content development for both internal and external consumption to be shared on blogs, newspapers, and other media outlets.
- Develop and implement the overarching innovative communication framework for the organisation.
- Increase the organisation’s visibility, brand and messaging across national, regional and international platforms in line with the organisation’s goals.
- Innovate and implement engaging social and behavioural change communication campaigns.
- Improve on visual and text content, engagement and social media presence of the organisation by leveraging various communications impactful content that targets the online community and leads to measurable action.
- Build a positive narrative and increase publicity on our programs and services.
- Implement media relations strategy in collaboration with the leadership team and nurture existing and future relationships with media outlets/press and stakeholders in the social justice system.
- Ensure adequate dissemination of content across various media platforms, including blogs and websites.
- Manage and update of all online platforms of STER – including social media, website, and third-website listings.
- Initiate and sustain fundraising-related marketing content to inspire donations and communicate the impact of the support given (online, direct mail, and direct engagement fundraising campaigns that engage individual and corporate donors).
- Coordinate STER’s in-house communication-related events represent the organisation at conferences and industry events.
- Produce reports and analytics summarising performance and impact for external and internal use.
- Build on the existing team spirit work culture at STER.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the Executive Director within the framework of competence.
- Reports to the Executive Director and Head of Strategy.
- Works with the Head of Resource Management to develop and implement effective ways to adequately manage team members’ performance.
- Works with the Head of Departments in implementing campaigns on gender equality and SGBV.
Requirements, Knowledge, and Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least three (3) years experience. Prior experience in the same capacity for a non-governmental or non-profit organisation is an added advantage.
- Be an organised strategist with solid knowledge of gender equality and social justice issues within national, regional and international networks.
- Experience in public speaking and facilitating (inter)national discussions.
- Strong copywriting, proofreading, organisational, planning, project management, coordinational and multi-tasking skills.
- Skilled in design and visual presentations, experience using a standard design and video editing software, including Adobe Illustrator, is an added advantage.
- Desire to take ownership of programs, work independently and take constructive initiatives for the organisation.
- Have a strong knowledge of website management and email marketing platforms.
- Have experience working with media and key influencers; and communications training experience.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and provide communications-related guidance to organisational executives and volunteers confidently.
- Available to travel and at short notice.
How to Apply
- If your skills and credentials meet the above profile, please apply by submitting your CV in English with a cover letter to email@example.com. We also require that you provide three references to support your application. Please note we will only contact shortlisted candidates for an interview and other selection processes.
- Kindly indicate the reference code FTV202102 in your applications and let the job title be the email subject matter. The application closes on Saturday, 9th October 2021.
N/B: STER is an equal opportunity employer.