believed to be carrying the four accused in the
court complex in New Delhi, on Tuesday.
Four men were convicted of all charges Tuesday in the rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman who was attacked when she boarded a bus in New Delhi last December, bringing a bitter close to a case that tore open the subject of sexual violence in this rapidly changing society.
The last and most urgent question – whether any of them will receive the death penalty – will be answered Wednesday, when they are sentenced at a morning hearing. The family of the victim has demanded death sentences, and much of the public seemed to share their anger, flooding the streets last year to demand swift punishment in the case. The police here were braced for aftershocks that might follow the sentencing. The crime stood out for its horror, even in this sprawling and chaotic city.
Her death seemed to open a vault here, and nine months later reports of rape still saturate the country’s newspapers – whether because of increased attacks or increased reporting is not clear. Under pressure to respond to the surge of public anger, the government toughened laws on sexual violence. But the drumbeat of fresh reports offers little hope that this society has confronted the problem, and foreign women have become increasingly wary of traveling to India.
After the verdict, a group of protesters outside chanted, “Hang the rapists! Hang the rapists! Hang the juvenile! Hang the juvenile!” Five men were wearing black hoods, with hangman’s nooses around their necks. “I just want them to be hanged because there is no other way to stop it,” said Vikas Tyagi, 31, who was with the group. “We are the youth of India, and we are her voice.”
The prosecution benefited from detailed witness statements given by the victim before she died, and from her male companion, who showed up in a wheelchair to testify. But despite the establishment of special fast-track courts for sex crimes, it has moved slower than many hoped, unfolding under unprecedented scrutiny.
One defendant, Ram Singh, who was driving the bus for some part of the assault, hanged himself with his bedsheet in his cell in a Delhi prison cell this year as his cellmates looked on; his family said he had been subjected to sustained abuse while in custody, and believe he was murdered by the police.
A second, who has not been named because he is a juvenile, was sentenced last month to three years in a juvenile detention center – the heaviest sentence possible in India’s juvenile justice system. As testimony drew to an end, the special prosecutor in the case, Dayan Krishnan, said each of the six defendants were linked to the crime through DNA evidence.
Bite marks on the woman’s body contained material identifying Mr. Singh and Akshay Thakur, who worked as an assistant on the bus, Mr. Krishnan told the Press Trust of India. He said Vinay Sharma, who worked as a handyman at a gym, had left fingerprints on the bus, and phone calls made from the vehicle were traced to a fruit seller, Pawan Gupta. Another man, Mr. Singh’s younger brother, Mukesh, has admitted taking part, he said.
In the cramped settlements which were home to Tuesday’s defendants, some neighbors said the case had cast a stain on all of them, and hoped the men would receive the toughest punishment possible. Soon after Mr. Singh was arrested in December, an unknown attacker tried to detonate two crude bombs in front of his home.
Ram Bai, a wraithlike woman who is mother to Mr. Singh and Mukesh, maintains that her surviving son is innocent, and has made it a point to attend the trial, if only to be near him for a few hours.