Stand to End Rape Initiative (STER) is a youth-led social enterprise advocating against sexual and gender-based violence, providing prevention mechanisms and supporting survivors with psychosocial services. STER adopts a comprehensive approach to advocating for gender equality and eliminating gender-based violence in Nigeria.
Job Type: Full-Time (Hybrid) Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 3 -5 years Location: Lagos, Nigeria
The Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit is responsible for assessing the performance of projects and programmes of STER. Its goal is to improve current and future management of outputs, outcomes and impact. The Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit is responsible for carrying out in-depth qualitative and quantitative studies, identifying gaps in SGBV policies, existing research and program implementations, and developing educative/informative briefs to fill these gaps.
The Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer role requires deep expertise in collecting and analysing complex data, designing and implementing tools that measure the progress of programs while working closely with the programs department.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director and working closely with other members of the Communications and Programs Departments, the Research, Monitoring, and Evaluation Officer contributes to the development and management of knowledge, capitalising on learning from STER’s core work, monitoring accountability and providing quality support to STER to achieve its overall objectives, as an integral member of the team.
The Research and M, E &L Officer is responsible for developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems with a focus on data collection, data analysis and reporting to ensure synergy across teams and departments overall and to contribute to organisational learning and accountability. As the team leader of the Research, Monitoring & Evaluation team, you coordinate all knowledge sharing, learning, evaluation and monitoring systems while incorporating a feminist approach. You also contribute to the writing and editing of internal and external reports to critical donors.
- Develop and implement the monitoring, evaluation and learning framework and strategies for STER, incorporating innovative and appropriate monitoring, assessment and teaching tools based on STER’s values and principles.
- Coordinate evaluations and monitoring of STER’s programmatic activities through data collection and identification of best practices.
- Coordinate the dissemination of knowledge and lessons learned among staff, partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Work with partners to ensure adequate baseline identification and data collection. (The necessary data generated to assess the impact and effectiveness of lessons learned from STER’s activities).
- Coordinate the annual monitoring, evaluation and learning planning process of STER to adapt and continually improve yearly plans.
- Develop and follow all research activity plans, including M&E plans; Work with the Programs Manager to determine which monitoring activities will take place and which data collection methods to use.
- Ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and tracking sheets and the data platform regularly.
Closely follow up on the field data collection and flag data collection issues.
- Conduct data quality audits of research data to identify and resolve systemic problems affecting data quality.
Support in identifying and synthesising good practices and lessons learned.
- Reports directly to the Head of Strategy and Executive Director.
- Contribute to the development of internal policies, tools and mechanisms for mainstreaming accountability within and across STER.
- Ensure respect for and adherence to principles of accountability in all actions and activities of STER.
Support capacity development of staff and partners on issues of accountability.
Requirements, Knowledge, and Expertise
- Bachelors or Masters in program evaluation, research methodology, statistics, applied social sciences or related field.
- 3 to 5 years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in research design, statistical methods and knowledge of computer hardware and software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough understanding of scientific methods, research and evaluation protocols, assessment instruments, and data interpretation.
- Experience contributing to research and evaluation processes, including proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, and data dissemination.
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate and analyze data with appropriate spreadsheets (e.g., Excel) and statistical software packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, STATA).
- Ability to prepare grant proposals, develop logic models, and apply sound research techniques, methodology, and logical critical analysis skills.
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document research progress.
- Ability to disseminate research results to broad audiences via various venues including conference and stakeholder presentations, conference and stakeholder publications, webinars, and journal articles.
- Ability to work independently, and accurately, and to problem-solve technical and methodological issues that arise during the research process.
- Excellent organizational planning, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with staff, consultants, stakeholders and other personnel.
- Considerable attention to detail, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel at short notice.
- Previous experience working on multi-country and regional projects.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of participatory approaches to research, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a curriculum vitae and brief cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer on or before August 7, 2023.
Only qualified applicants will be notified for an interview.