Founded in 2014, STER is a CAC registered, youth-led not-for-profit organization advocating against gender-based violence and providing medical, legal, and psychological support to survivors of sexual and gender-based violence in Nigeria. STER adopts a comprehensive approach to advocating for gender equality and eliminating gender-based violence in Nigeria. First, by working with communities to generate sustainable homegrown solutions to the issues of gender-based violence that impact the broader society, then by partnering with local and national groups on systems-level prevention and intervention activities, and finally, by working with survivors and their families to support their recovery from trauma. At the core of STER’s programs is the goal to advocate for a society where women and girls are empowered to equally contribute free from violence.
As an organization, we invest efficient time into our work and aspire for operational excellence in our communication strategies. We are currently developing new strategies to communicate with key stakeholders and our target audience and are looking to hire a person who is keen on building STER as a global organization and unafraid to objectively develop innovative strategies in line with the organization’s goals
Job Title: Human rights lawyer
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: LLB/Member of NBA
Experience: 4 – 5 years
Location: Lagos Nigeria
The Unit strategizes and develops interventions to foster policy reforms and increase access to justice on SGBV issues. This entails legal analysis of policies and their impacts on SGBV nationally and regionally, developing survivor-centered strategies for case-by-case intervention, and provision of legal services to survivors (advice and representation, and liaison with relevant agencies).
- Monitor the progress of STER’s legal cases of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in Lagos.
- Liaising with relevant authorities such as the police, Ministry of Justice, and Attorney General when necessary to ensure appropriate arrest/sentencing/conviction of perpetrators.
- Liaising with the survivors/their families when necessary, especially for the purpose of preparing them for cross-examination in court.
- Presence at all court proceedings for legal cases of SGBV in Lagos.
- Providing monthly reports on the progress of cases to the litigation assistant.
Requirements, Knowledge, and Expertise
- LLB in Law.
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association.
- 4 years’ post-call experience in criminal litigation, particularly to do with SGBV and human rights issues.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- A passion for SGBV and human rights issues.
How to Apply
- If your skills and credentials meet the above profile, please apply by submitting your CV in English with a cover letter to email@example.com. We also require that you provide three references to support your application, please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and other selection processes.
- Kindly indicate the reference code FTV202101 in your applications and let the job title be the Subject matter of the email.