Founded in 2014, STER is a CAC registered, youth-led not-for-profit organization advocating against gender-based violence and providing medical, legal, and psychological support to survivors of sexual and gender-based violence in Nigeria. STER adopts a comprehensive approach to advocating for gender equality and eliminating gender-based violence in Nigeria. First, by working with communities to generate sustainable homegrown solutions to the issues of gender-based violence that impact the broader society, then by partnering with local and national groups on systems-level prevention and intervention activities, and finally, by working with survivors and their families to support their recovery from trauma. At the core of STER’s programs is the goal to advocate for a society where women and girls are empowered to equally contribute free from violence.
As an organization, we invest efficient time into our work and aspire for operational excellence in our communication strategies. We are currently developing new strategies to communicate with key stakeholders and our target audience and are looking to hire a person who is keen on building STER as a global organization and unafraid to objectively develop innovative strategies in line with the organization’s goals
Job Title: Communications Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 3 -5 years
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
The Communications Unit consists of the Content Development and Social Media, and Creative Writing Department. The Content Development and Social Media Department develops engaging content to build awareness and provide the public with informative and educative content on gender-based violence and Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights issues, and as well update STER followers on our programs. While the Creative Writing Department is responsible for content development for both internal and external consumption to be shared on blogs, newspapers, and other media outlets.
- Develop and implement the overarching innovative communication framework for the organization.
- Develop and implement online content that engages our community and leads to measurable action. Strategize on the best way to reach targets and enact plans.
- Develop a thoughtful media relations strategy in collaboration with the leadership team and nurture existing and future relationships with media outlets/press and stakeholders in the social justice system.
- Ensure adequate dissemination of content across various media platforms including STER’s blog
- Facilitate the management and updates of all online platforms of STER – including social media, website, and third-website listings.
- Craft the narrative and project the stories of our programs, services, as well as our amazing team and culture.
- Facilitate mechanisms for internal communications with the entire team.
- Develop and manage the organization’s visual brand and messaging in line with the organization’s goal
- Write fundraising-related marketing content to inspire donations and communicate the impact of the support given; Helping to develop online, direct mail and direct engagement fundraising campaigns that engage individual and corporate donors
- Pitch story-ideas and secure coverage in regional, national, international and industry media as well as facilitate the positioning of STER as a global brand
- Coordinate STER’s inhouse communication-related events represent the organization at conferences and industry events
- Produce reports summarizing performance and impact for external and internal audiences
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the Executive Director within the framework of his/her competence.
- Reports to the Executive Director based on set goals
- Works with the Head of Resource Management to develop and implement effective ways through which team members performance is adequately managed
- Works with the Head of Departments in implementing campaign against violence
Requirements, Knowledge, and Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least three (3) years of experience. Prior experience in a nonprofit organization is an added advantage
- Strong written and verbal communication skills around complex social justice issues and women’s rights.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Self-starter, able to work independently and enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Skilled in design and editing of written and visual presentations; experience using a common design and video editing software including, Adobe Illustrator is added advantage
- Have a strong knowledge of website management and email marketing platforms
- Have experience working with media and key influencers; be able to train others for interaction with media
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to confidently provide communications-related guidance to organizational executives and volunteers
- Possess project management skills and have the ability to manage ongoing communications campaigns and monitor their success while being able to respond to new communication-related issues in a timely manner.
How to Apply
- If your skills and credentials meet the above profile, please apply by submitting your CV in English with a cover letter to Standtoendrape@gmail.com. We also require that you provide three references to support your application, Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and other selection processes.
Kindly indicate the reference code FTV202001 in your applications and let the job title be the Subject matter of the email.